Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Atheism Remix, by R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

The 3 star rating came because of my disappointment in what I hoped to get out this short book and in the fact that I think it could have been expanded a bit and made more of a tool that could be used by conservative Christians who are dealing with people involved in the New Atheism. 

The four chapters are what was claimed in the introduction, they are the text of 4 lectures given by Dr. Mohler at Dallas Theological Seminary. The four lectures are quite well done and the book reflects that. His background on Atheism and also on what he calls "The Four Horsemen of the New Atheist Apocalypse," Richard Dakins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens, is very good. Well thought through and well documented. 

What I found disappointing was that there was some repetition in the 4 chapters. I think this happens because the four lectures are not done back to back, but one day after the other, so as any good teacher there is a bit of review and drawing on previous material as you build your thesis to the final conclusion. But in a book format you don't need to go back over material already covered. I think that the book could have been edited a bit for this and then some expanded material added to give more information to we the Pastoral community that don't have the advantage of being in the classroom setting to discuss these lectures. 

Please, again, don't get me wrong. Dr. Mohler does a good job of presenting the material. It is interesting and laid out well. 

My concern is that I was hoping for a bit more practical material that I could use in working with young people who I am running into who are buying into this New Atheism. I now have some historical background and better understand many of the intellectual players in this game and so I can better address those aspects, but I still need more information. This has been a good start but now on to some more material to get the rest of what I needed. 

I do believe that if you want a primer on this issue that you will not be disappointed with Dr. Mohler's book. But keep in mind that it the essence of four lectures and only a short booklet at 108 pages in length. 

But do enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment