Monday, May 9, 2011

The Greener Grass Conspiracy, by Stephen Altrogge


Before the review starts, I again want to thank Crossway Books and especially Angie Cheatham for sending me this book to review.  I very much appreciate them allowing me that privilege (yes that means I got the book for free)

Now for the review

Stephen Altrodgge has given us a great short book on the subject of “Contentment” or should I say our American Culture’s lack of “Contentment.”  Even worse, our Western Evangelical Church (Christian) lack of “Contentment.”  This book reminded me a lot about Richard Foster’s work on “Simplicity” and also the “Celebration of Discipline” when he addressed the issue of “materialism.”

Altrodgge gives us lots to think about in regards to our attitude towards God and our attitude towards “things.”  His opening chapter deals with how we all play the “If Only” game.  It goes like this, “If only I had the latest smart phone (or insert any other product you desire) I would be happy.”  How many times have we all played this game?  If only I was married, if only I had more money, if only I had a higher IQ.  Why is it that we can’t be happy with what we have?  Because we don’t “Trust” God.

He points out to us that scripture defines us well, Mark 7:21-23 states, “for from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.  All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”  Further he quotes John Calvin and says that he nailed us, “Man’s nature, so to speak, is a perpetual factory of idols.”  So what idol (or thing) are you worshipping or craving today?

Chapter three deals with our heart issue.  On page 28 Altrodgge states, “Contentment is a disposition of the heart that freely and joyfully submits to God’s will, whatever that may be.”  In summary, we are not content because we are outside of God’s will.

Chapter four deals with the fact that we are idolaters.  He quotes Tim Keller, “If anything becomes more fundamental than God to your happiness, meaning in life, and identity, then it is an idol.”  This chapter relates this problem to our societies push through commercials that we will only be happy if we drink the right beer, take the right medication, go to the right movies and read our e-books on the right e-book reader (ok, so I own a Kindle, is that so bad?  Well it is if I end up worshipping it more than God).

Chapter five deals with the issue of Solomon’s riches and his finding that all of it was “vanity.”  We strive after everything under the sun only to discover it is worthless.  So, why do we do this?  Because we believe that we deserve the best of all things.  But is that true?  Do we sinful humans really deserve blessings?  The answer is NO, we don’t deserve that but God finds joy in giving us blessings.

Chapter eight is “In search of the secret.”  Well, the answer is easy, the secret is found in Hebrews 13:5-6, “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”

That is a great summation of the entire book.  There is more I could write and tell you, but why should I when Stephen Altrogge has done such a good job in this book.

I know you will enjoy it, but you will also be challenged by how you live your life and may walk away a bit angry at Stephen for pointing out to you how fruitless your life journey is in searching for more ‘things.’

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment